Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Pilani

I missed my mid-semester exams as I was out of station and I had to choose either pilani or goa as the centre for make-up exams for the missed mid-semester exams.I chose pilani(don't ask me why.) One of my colleagues advised me to go to goa and have feni at the beach(forget the exams, you could take them next semester). Anyway I chose pilani and was looking forward to that.

I have taken an air deccan flight on march 23rd and reached Delhi at 8:30am. I was told that the last direct bus to pilani from Delhi was around 10am. I took a bus(Airport to city coach) to ISBT Delhi. By the time I got to ISBT it was 10:15am and I missed the last direct bus. I took a mini-bus till Bhiwani and reached there by 2:20pm and luckily, there was a connecting bus to pilani, which was leaving immediately. I got in that bus and reached pilani at 4:30pm. I had to ask couple of guys to put off the beedi they were smoking and it took a lot to convince them. I told them if they didn't stop smoking I would throw up.I hired a rickshaw to go to VFAST hostel, which is inside the BITS campus. Actually, you need not take a rickshaw, its approximately 5-minute walk from bus-stand to the campus.

The campus of BITS, pilani was great. Well planned and equally well maintained. All the paths had trees planted on either side and gave enough shadow for people to walk under. Students were allowed to have only bicycles, hence the pollution level was low. They tried to make it as self-sustainable as possible.

I had called up VFAST hostel 2 days earlier and made sure that I would get a room. They had plenty of rooms and gave me one. I went to my room and took bath. Called home and informed them I reached safe and sound. After that I took a map of the campus and went for a walk.I reached DLPD at around 7pm and I found Dean still working. I told him that I came for make-up exams from bangalore. He said "generally we expect students from bangalore to go to goa". I said I wanted to see the campus, for which he replied "you will have to come for the dissertation anyway". I didn't know what to say and kept quiet. Its a big story why I chose to go to pilani and I don't want to write about it here.

Dean was very friendly. He talked about life at Pilani. He explained their future plans and projects. I lent him a patient ear. He asked me whether I could find DLPD easily, I told him I followed the map and it was not a problem. He was happy that people were using his maps. He then talked about bangalore traffic and how difficult is it to find an address there etc. He introduced me to Asst. Dean, Prof. Venkat. He also seemed very friendly. He offered me to use CSD and computer lab if I need. I said thanks and left.

My mobile phone did not detect the network and I was worried that I would not be reachable in case someone wanted to call me. But it soon found the network and I was relieved. Hostel rooms did not TV and I could concentrate on my studies without any disturbance. But inside the campus, they play movies sporadically. Dean has told me that each student had internet connection in his room. He also asked me to visit the museum, located inside the campus.

I roamed around for some more time and went back to the room. I called up VFAST and found
that dinner would be served from 8. I was hungry and went for dinner. Dinner was very good, quality is high and the variety was also good. I went back to my room and started studying for the exams on weekend(25th and 26th), that's the boring part and I refrain from boring you with that in this post.

I will cover rest of my trip in coming posts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

x